• 800 g pork leg or loin steak cubes
• 12 rashers of streaky bacon, cut in half
• about 45 ml sriracha sauce, plus extra to taste
• 1 large pineapple, cut into bite-size pieces
• 1 large onion, quartered and pulled apart into ‘petals’
• 12 bay leaves
• a dash of olive oil
• 3 ml dried Italian herbs
• 60 ml Bulgarian yoghurt
• 60 ml mayonnaise
• 15 ml each mint and basil, chopped
• about 15 ml fresh lemon or lime juice
1 Soak 6 long sosatie skewers in water for about an hour to prevent them from burning during the cooking process
2 Brush the pork cubes with sriracha sauce and wrap a strip of bacon around each one – this prevents the sauce from running off and seasons the meat. Thread the pork cubes interspersed with pieces of pineapple, onion and bay leaves on the sticks.
Tip Insert the skewer through the bacon around the pork pieces. Drizzle with a dash of olive oil and sprinkle with herbs and black pepper.
3 Mix all the ingredients for the sauce and season with salt and pepper.
4 Braai the sosaties over moderate coals or in a griddle pan until cooked but still juicy. Brush with a little extra sriracha sauce during the cooking process. The sosaties should not take longer than 10–15 minutes. Remember to let the meat rest before serving. Serve with the yoghurt sauce, lime wedges and a delicious rice or couscous salad.