Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus soaking time
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 250ml sago, soaked in water for 1 hour
- 600ml milk
- 400ml coconut milk
- pinch of salt
- 125ml sugar
- 60ml butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 15ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
- 120ml roasted coconut
- 4-6 small meringues to garnish
1. Heat the 600ml milk, coconut milk, salt and sugar over low heat. Drain the sago pearls and add to the milk. Simmer slowly, stirring frequently, until the sago is soft (about 30 minutes).
2. Remove from the heat, let it cool slightly and stir in the butter. Beat the egg yolks, 15ml milk and vanilla seeds together. Add the hot sago, a spoonful at a time, stirring continuously. Spoon back into the pot, put the lid on and allow it to stand for 15 minutes.
3. Spoon the sago custard into bowls, sprinkle with roasted coconut and gooseberries and top each pudding with a meringue. A sprinkling of extra vanilla sugar is an optional extra if you have a sweet tooth.