Home Reader Berna Badenhorst shared her simple 'copycat' fish paste recipe with us, all the way from Canada.
The basic recipe (untested) is as follows and can be adapted to taste:
- 1-2 tins sardines in oil, drained
- 1 tin anchovies in oil, drained (reserve the liquid)
- 1-2 tablespoons tomato paste
1. Drain the sardines and mix with the anchovies and as much oil from the tin of anchovies as needed in your juicer or with a stick blender until smooth.
2. Season, if desired, with a tablespoon or two of tomato paste (or purée for a less concentrated tomato flavour) and voila!
3. Optional extra ingredients include: salt, pepper, lemon juice and even fresh or dried chilli if you want to deviate from the classic spread