- 4 - broad tenderised steaks, no thicker than 1cm
- 1 - large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- - a handful of baby spinach
- 1 - chilli, chopped
- 1 - onion, chopped
- 1 - tin lentils, drained
- 30ml - each olive oil and butter
- 450g - boerewors
- 8 - sun-dried tomatoes in vinaigrette, chopped, plus 60ml of the vinaigrette
- 10ml - Dijon mustard
- 125ml - lager
- - a sprinkling of fresh parsley
1 Spread the mustard on the four steaks. Remove the boerewors casings, shape the meat into 4 oblong meatballs and place one on each piece of prepared steak. Roll up to form beef olives. Press tightly together or use a toothpick to hold them together.
2 Heat half the oil and butter in a thick-based pan and fry the beef olives until golden-brown (about 5–10 minutes). Remove and set aside.
3 Add the remaining oil and butter and sauté the onion for a few minutes in the same pan until glossy. Stir in the sweet potato and cook for a few minutes. Return the meat to the pan, add the beer, chilli and tomatoes, cover and steam for 10–15 minutes or until the sweet potato is done and the meat is cooked but still juicy; drizzle to taste with the tomato vinaigrette. Serve with lentils and spinach.