Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: about 15 minutes
- 45ml rice vinegar
- 15ml soy sauce
- 15ml sesame oil
- pinch of sugar
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 125g thin rice noodles, cooked according to the instructions on the packet
- 80ml cornflour
- 5ml turmeric
- 800g hake fillets, cut into thick strips
- oil for shallow-frying
- 125ml each fresh coriander and basil
- toasted sesame seeds (optional)
1. Mix together the vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, chilli and spring onions, and pour over the cucumber and noodles in a bowl. Leave to marinate while you cook the fish.
2. Mix the cornflour and turmeric, and season with salt and pepper. Make sure the fish is dry; roll it in the cornflour until coated all over.
3. Heat about 1cm oil in a pan and fry the fish until golden-brown and cooked through. Sprinkle the herbs over the noodle salad and serve it with the fish fingers. Extra soy sauce to taste, as well as a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds, is optional.