One lucky reader will receive Milestone Kitchens units to the value of R50 000!
Still dreaming of a stylish kitchen revamp but struggling with a limited budget? You’re in luck! Our Kitchen Heroes competition, brought to you by Milestone Kitchens, is back and you stand a chance of winning beautiful Milestone Kitchens units of your choice – and a design tailored to meet your needs.
These days, we not only cook and eat in our kitchens but we also use the space to socialise, entertain guests and even do homework. So it’s important to choose units that will work best in your home. Perhaps the kitchen of your dreams has a super-sized island in the middle, maybe you’ve always wanted a butler sink, or how about a beautiful dresser in the style and colour of your choice?
Send us your story and tell us why your kitchen needs a makeover. If your entry is selected, the owners of Milestone Kitchens, Silvia and Sabrina Miles, will help you design your space with units from their impressive range.
HOW TO ENTER
• Go to milestonekitchens.co.za and select the ‘hero item’ from their range of products, around which you’ll design your kitchen. Make a note of its name and the style you’d prefer.
• Now take a photo of your own kitchen and, in no more than 150 words, tell us why you want to renovate. Include the name and style of your ‘hero item’ (dresser, island, sink unit, cutlery server – whatever it might be!) in your entry.
• Email your entry to email@example.com. The prize excludes delivery; see our competition rules.
CLOSING DATE: 6 May 2021
Please note: The winner must place their order no later than 31 January 2022.
A clean slate
With the Covid-19 pandemic top of mind, a fuss-free, easy-to-clean and hygienic kitchen goes a long way in creating peace of mind. Think appliance-free stainless-steel tops that are easy to wipe down and sleek white cabinets that prevent any dirt or mess from going unnoticed and provide a neutral backdrop for pops of colour.
Just because your kitchen is clean and hygienic doesn’t mean it has to be ‘sterile’! Express your personality by incorporating your favourite things like baskets, vintage dishes, framed artworks and mirrors.
1. SPLASHBACKS: Ever tried to wipe sticky sauce or a grease stain off a painted kitchen wall? An easy-to-clean tile or glass splashback positioned behind your stove will save you from this tedious task, time and again. And it adds personality! It’s best to design your kitchen first and choose a splashback that complements your style and space thereafter – don’t be shy to try something funky! It’s important to install the tiles or glass all the way up to the bottom of the extractor so that dirt doesn’t get lodged in-between.
2. OPEN SHELVES Installing open shelves in your kitchen will add depth to the room and create visual space – but be sure to stash clutter such as storage containers in closed cabinets. Keep items on display to a minimum and colour-coordinate them for a stylish look.
3. FREESTANDING Walls in most houses are often not 100% square and straight, so fitted kitchens must have internal linings, false bottoms and cover strips added to them to avoid gaps – and these spaces make cosy nests for cockroaches and rats! On the other hand, Milestone Kitchens freestanding units can be moved away from the wall so you can clean behind and underneath them; you can choose between castors, legs, a plinth or recessed plinth, or a combination thereof. The units have adjustable feet; if your floor isn’t level, you can use them to adjust accordingly.
4. THE RIGHT RUG If you want to protect your kitchen floor, and add a bit of warmth, position rugs wherever there is a likelihood of spilling or splashing, such as in front of your stove. Choose one with a flat pile that’s easy to clean or pop into the washing machine. A rug offers a convenient way to spruce up an ugly kitchen floor, especially if new floors are out of your budget or you’re living in a rental. Remember to coordinate your rug with your existing kitchen décor.