CO: swift, silent, deadly

Carbon monoxide (CO) gas has caused more accidental deaths than any other poison – not just because it’s fast-acting, but because you can’t see, smell or taste it, and it’s non-irritant.

Potential sources of dangerous CO levels include car exhaust, and combustion fumes from fuel-burning appliances e.g. charcoal braai grills, camping stoves, fireplaces, gas heaters, wood and coal ovens, petrol generators and power tools.

  • Make sure you know how to use fuel-burning appliances correctly, with good ventilation, and get them professionally inspected every year.
  • Don’t use non-vented appliances indoors, or in semi-enclosed spaces. A non-vented appliance is one that does not have vents to carry smoke and toxic gases outside a building. 
  • Don’t let your car engine idle in the garage unless the garage door is open and doors leading to the house are closed. (Actuallly, avoid idling your engine anywhere.)
  • Finally, consider installing a CO detector.

- Olivia Rose-Innes, EnviroHealth Editor, Health24, September 2011 

Read more:
Carbon monoxide kills in minutes 

 More EnviroHealth Tips 

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Show Comments ()
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.