The long-awaited, and much-anticipated, all-new, second-gen 2023 Volkswagen Amarok officially launches on 18 March. This beast of a car is set to appeal to lay folk as much as it does to the bakkie enthusiasts.
While this powerful on- and off-road all-rounder was designed in Australia and Germany, we can proudly say that it will only be found on our local production lines.
Both single and double cabs will be offered in the range, and these will sport a longer wheelbase than their predecessors, making them more stable and effective in their off-road capabilities.
The new model range is available in five different trims, starting with the standard “Amarok”, followed by the “Life”, “Style”, and “PanAmericana” trims. The “Aventura” model is the cream-of-the-crop showstopper that tops off the range.
The updated look and feel of the Amarok sees a new front fascia boasting a horizontally opposed grille with an impressive headlamp array (with IQ.LIGHT LED headlamps in the PanAmericana and Aventura trims). The wheel arches look broad and brutish, and house, depending on the model, 17- – 21-inch alloy wheels.
The interior has a portrait-style infotainment screen which is offered in 10 or 12-inch sizes, and, while it is unclear which will come standard, the new Amarok features over 20 driver-assistance systems.
The maximum payload for the bakkie is now 1 160 kg, while an additional 350 kg can be added on the roof. The Amarok, depending on the powertrain, can tow an impressive 3.5 tons. Volkswagen’s 4Motion setup will be available to certain bakkies with either a permanent setup or a selectable 4×4.
The Amarok has four distinct engine configurations. The variants in which the power output exceeds 154 kW are equipped with a new 10-speed automatic transmission, and those with a lower output have either 5 or 6-speed transmissions.
- 2.0 TDI 110 kW, four-cylinder with a 5-speed manual transmission is found in the Amarok model.
- 2.0 TDI 125 kW, four-cylinder with a 6-speed manual transmission powers the Life and 125 kW base models.
- 2.0 BiTDI 154 kW 4MOTION, four-cylinder is in the top-end Life model, the Style models, and the two entry-level PanAmericana models.
- 3.0 TDI V6 184 kW 4MOTION, six-cylinder diesel engine with a 10-speed automatic transmission can be found in the range leader – the Aventura 3.0 TDI V6 184 kW 4MOTION.
You can expect to pay anything from R599 000 to R1 105 000 to get your hands on this all-new Amarok. The pricing breakdown is as follows:
- Amarok 2.0 TDI 110kW 5-speed manual, R599 000
- Amarok 2.0 TDI 125kW 6-speed manual, R650 500
- Amarok 2.0 TDI 125kW 4MOTION 6-speed manual, R721 500
- Amarok Life 2.0 TDI 125kW 6-speed manual, R683 500
- Amarok Life 2.0 TDI 125kW 4MOTION 6-speed manual, R738 000
- Amarok Life 2.0 TDI 125kW 4MOTION 6-speed auto, R760 000
- Amarok Life 2.0 BiTDI 154kW 4MOTION 10-speed auto, R825 500
- Amarok Style 2.0 BiTDI 154kW 4MOTION 10-speed auto, R900 000
- Amarok Style 2.0 BiTDI 154kW 4MOTION 10-speed auto (Comfort Package), R919 500
- Amarok Style 3.0 TDI V6 184kW 4MOTION 10-speed auto, R966 000
- Amarok Style 3.0 TDI V6 184kW 4MOTION 10-speed auto (Comfort Package), R985 500
- Amarok PanAmericana 2.0 BiTDI 154kW 4MOTION 10-speed auto, R987 000
- Amarok PanAmericana 2.0 BiTDI 154kW 4MOTION 10-speed auto (Comfort Package), R1 017 000
- Amarok PanAmericana 3.0 TDI V6 184kW 4MOTION 10-speed auto, R1 053 000
- Amarok PanAmericana 3.0 TDI V6 184kW 4MOTION 10-speed auto (Comfort Package), R1 083 000
- Amarok Aventura 3.0 TDI V6 184kW 4MOTION 10-speed auto, R1 105 000
While some of these prices might feel a bit on the hefty side, they all come with Volkswagen’s standard 4-year/120 000 km warranty, a 5-year/ 100 000km EasyDrive Maintenance Plan and a 6-year anti-corrosion warranty.
If you are looking for one of these exceptional Amarok vehicles, there’s only one place to go for fast, efficient, and impeccable service – whether you’re test-driving or buying – and that’s Autohaus VW Centurion. They’re in a league above the rest and will ensure that you feel as good out of the car, as you do in it.
This post and content is sponsored, written and produced by VW.