Would you say the following statements are true?
- Stroke is something that happens to the heart.
- Stroke cannot really be treated.
- Stroke recovery only takes place for a few months after a stroke
- Stroke is something that only happens to elderly people.
- There is nothing one can do to prevent stroke.
- Once somebody loses the ability to speak, they cannot regain it.
All these statements are FALSE.
- Stroke is actually something that happens in the brain, not the heart.
- Immediate emergency treatment can change a stroke victim's chances of recovery.
- Stroke recovery takes place for the rest of the stroke victim's life.
- Anyone, at any age can have a stroke.
- Stroke is largely preventable.
- Most stroke victims can learn to speak again.
Interesting facts about stroke
- 17 percent of people over the age of 50 are unable to name a single stroke symptom.
- Almost 60 percent of stroke patients don't get to a doctor or hospital until 24 hours after the stroke.
- 13 hours is the average time from the time of the stroke to when medical attention is sought.