Bangui - The United Nations and Central African Republic forces Sunday launched an operation targeting armed groups in a mainly Muslim district of Bangui in which at least two people were killed and dozens wounded, UN and medical sources said.
Eleven peacekeepers, mostly Egyptian, were among the injured in the joint operation mounted by the United Nations peacekeeping force (Minusca) and the Central African security forces, Minusca spokesperson Herve Verhoosel told AFP.
The operation, which had targeted, the "bases of certain criminal groups" would continue "until the goal is achieved", Verhoosel said.
Eight people belonging to the armed groups Force and 50/50 had been detained by Minusca and ammunition had been seized, he added.
The operation comes after a resurgence in violence in the flashpoint PK5 neighbourhood of Bangui.
The Central African Republic has been struggling to return to stability since the country exploded into bloodshed after the 2013 overthrow of longtime leader Francois Bozize by the mainly Muslim Seleka rebel alliance.
France intervened militarily to push out the Seleka alliance but the country remains plagued with violence pitting groups competing for control of resources and areas of influence.