At least 100 killed in CAR since August - UN

iStock
iStock

Bangui - The Central African Republic has seen an "alarming increase" in human rights violations since August, with at least 100 people killed, the UN peacekeeping mission Minusca said on Wednesday.

"Since August 2016, Minusca has recorded an alarming number of violations and abuses committed by various factions of the ex-Seleka (rebellion), the anti-Balaka (militia) and their affiliates," the peacekeeping agency said in a report.

"These incidents have caused the death of at least 100 people," it added.

The report came two weeks after the UN chief Ban Ki-moon on November 29 called on armed groups to "immediately stop the violence".

The country is struggling to emerge from a civil war that erupted in 2013 following the overthrow of former president Francois Bozize, a Christian, by Muslim rebels from the Seleka coalition.

The coup led to the formation of "anti-Balaka" (anti-machete) vigilante units, drawn from the Christian majority, which began to target Muslims. Both sides committed widespread atrocities.

Militias are still flourishing given the weakness of the state.

Sexual violence 

Former colonial power France intervened in 2013 to stop violent Christian-Muslim clashes and formally ended its peacekeeping mission only last month, hailing it a success despite fresh outbreaks of violence.

That leaves mainly the UN's 12,500-strong MINUSCA peacekeeping mission to protect civilians from armed groups.

Security and human rights are both areas of "major concern", the report said.

The peacekeeping mission's human rights division "has documented 1 301 violations and human rights abuses affecting at least 2 473 victims", MINUSCA said, adding that that constituted a 70 percent increase on the period from September 2014 to May 2015.

The abuses "were primarily arbitrary executions, cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment, sexual violence, arbitrary deprivations of liberty, destruction and confiscation of private property, and restrictions on freedom of movement", it added.

Among the victims there were "203 children including 91 boys and 67 girls".

"A total of 46 children (31 girls and 15 boys)" had either suffered rape or other forms of sexual violence, it added.

The report urged authorities in Bangui to step up the fight against impunity, with support from the international community.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Who do you think is going to win the 2020 US election?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Biden is going to take it
47% - 7786 votes
It's four more years for Trump
53% - 8939 votes
Vote
All Share
55339.58
(+0.99)
Top 40
50692.28
(+0.83)
Financial 15
10790.70
(+3.99)
Industrial 25
74905.70
(+1.05)
Resource 10
52561.57
(-0.49)
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes morningstar logo