Guinea opposition resumes strikes over disputed polls

accreditation
iStock
iStock

Guinea's opposition on Monday resumed protests over disputed local elections in February, with a strike crippling parts of the seaside capital Conakry.

Traffic was disrupted in Matoto and Ratoma, the city's biggest areas where opposition supporters set up barricades, as well as at the main markets of Madina and Bonfi.

"We will continue to put spokes in the wheels of the majority," said Alpha Mamadou Sane from the main opposition UFDG party.

"Only the ministers and their deputies have opened their offices so that they can say the administration was functioning," he said.

"Secretaries, delivery boys, orderlies, technicians and workers all stayed away."

Lamarana Diallo, a shopkeeper at Madina said: "We are here to keep a watch and prevent looting by the security forces and bystanders who always try and take advantage of the situation."

Disputed results of the February vote sparked demonstrations that have claimed at least 15 lives.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

The opposition stopped the protests and started talks with the government but called them off last week, saying there was a lack of will on the part of our adversaries to find consensus on the electoral differences."

Opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo said on Thursday the government was "sticking to its position by saying it cannot change the results announced by the independent national election commission", or CENI.

"The results do not remotely reflect the real outcome," he said, adding that the "choice of the citizens in voting stations supercedes all other considerations."

The February election was the first of its kind since a military dictatorship ended a decade ago. It followed eight years of delays blamed on lack of funds, political infighting and the 2013-16 Ebola crisis.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
President Ramaphosa has punted the idea of mandatory Covid-19 vaccinations for South Africans. This is:
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
The right thing to do. We desperately need more South Africans vaccinated to prevent further mutations and restore normality in our lives.
72% - 7701 votes
A risky strategy. Compulsory vaccinations may have unintended consequences and damage our rollout campaign.
28% - 2998 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
15.85
+1.3%
Rand - Pound
21.09
+1.0%
Rand - Euro
17.93
+1.3%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.25
+1.3%
Rand - Yen
0.14
+1.5%
Gold
1,766.56
-0.9%
Silver
22.35
+0.1%
Palladium
1,750.61
+0.3%
Platinum
937.00
+0.1%
Brent Crude
68.87
-0.5%
Top 40
64,555
-0.4%
All Share
71,021
-0.3%
Resource 10
67,557
-0.5%
Industrial 25
93,673
-0.4%
Financial 15
13,890
+0.1%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE