Libya re-opens main border post with Tunisia

accreditation
(iStock)
(iStock)

Libya has reopened its main border post with Tunisia after closing it for more than six weeks amid tensions over smuggling, Tripoli's interior ministry said on Saturday.

The border at Ras Jedir was re-opened to "facilitate... Libyan and Tunisian travellers", the ministry said, without providing further details.

An AFP correspondent in Ben Guerdane, a Tunisian town about 30km from Ras Jedir, confirmed the crossing had been re-opened, but said Tunisians were protesting over a lack of consultation with residents.

More than 200 people set fire to tyres and blocked Libyan travellers between Ben Guerdane and the border.

The correspondent said the protestors were angry that Libyan authorities did not negotiate with them over the crossing's re-opening, rather than with Tunisia's government.

It was not immediately clear what the protestors were demanding from the Libyan authorities.

But prior to the border's closure, Tripoli had banned the passage of goods to Tunisia in order to rein in the smuggling of fuel and other items, a local Libyan official said.

The ban on goods and the closure provoked protests by traders in Ben Guerdane, whose residents depend on cross-border traffic - including smuggling - for their livelihoods.

The Ras Jedir crossing has been closed several times in recent years, leading to repeated tensions on the Tunisian side.

Tunisian authorities have cited difficulties in negotiating with Tripoli over customs arrangements amid the political chaos that has engulfed Libya since the fall of dictator Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.

The re-opening of the border came several hours after the closure of Tripoli's only working airport, due to fighting.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Should Proteas star Quinton de Kock continue playing at the T20 World Cup even if he doesn't take the knee in support of the fight against racism?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes! He should be allowed to show his support any way he chooses
36% - 489 votes
No! If De Kock refuses to unite with his teammates, then he should be on the next plane home
12% - 166 votes
The only ones at fault here are Cricket SA, who have sabotaged another Proteas World Cup
51% - 687 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
14.97
-1.0%
Rand - Pound
20.59
-0.7%
Rand - Euro
17.37
-0.9%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.23
-0.9%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-1.5%
Gold
1,787.43
-0.3%
Silver
23.94
-0.9%
Palladium
1,992.66
-0.9%
Platinum
1,018.53
-1.3%
Brent Crude
86.40
+0.5%
Top 40
60,797
-0.3%
All Share
67,494
-0.3%
Resource 10
63,048
-0.7%
Industrial 25
87,148
-0.1%
Financial 15
14,043
-0.0%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE