'We would rather die praying' - mosques in Guinea reopened by anti-lockdown protesters

accreditation

Conakry – Anti-lockdown protesters in Guinea on Wednesday forced open a handful of mosques that had been shut for weeks, according to witnesses, demonstrators and a local official.

It came a day after seven people were killed in clashes with police during protests against roadblocks set up during the pandemic and frequent power cuts in the impoverished West African country.

The mosques had been closed since late March as part of measures to control the spread of the deadly disease in a nation that is around 80% Muslim.

Dozens of worshippers in the eastern town of Kamsar entered a mosque and thoroughly cleaned it before praying there, a witness said.

As they did so, the group comprised of women, young people and children chanted "Allahu akbar", meaning "God is Greatest", the witness added.

"The government is unable to protect us from the virus, so we are leaving it to God alone. How can markets stay open, but mosques be closed?" one young protester said on condition of anonymity.

"We would rather die praying than live without prayer," he said.

'They just broke the padlocks'

Another protester said "we have won – we prayed in the mosque. We are no longer wearing masks. It's over."

Politician Karamoko Bangoura described the scene as local media reported that around four or five mosques had been reopened under similar circumstances near the capital Conakry.

"We saw a crazed crowd go to the mosques and reopen their doors," he said, adding that "it wasn't violent at all, they just broke the padlocks".

The head of one reopened mosque said he "thanked God" for the events, because "we were worried that we wouldn't be able to pray with the end of Ramadaan approaching", referring to the holy month of fasting.

Guinea is one of the countries in the region worst-hit by the virus crisis and its poor sanitation system has raised fears of a severe epidemic.

According to the official figures, the country has recorded 2 213 cases resulting in 11 deaths.

Jamal Bangoura, Guinea's secretary of state for religious affairs, on Wednesday called for "calm and restraint", emphasising that the places of worship had been closed as part of the fight against the virus.

The Ebola virus killed 2 500 people in Guinea between 2013 and 2016.

Stay healthy and entertained during the national lockdown. Sign up for our Lockdown Living newsletter. Register and manage your newsletters in the new News24 app by clicking on the Profile tab


We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
What are your thoughts on the possibility of having permanent Stage 2 or 3 load shedding?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
I'll take that over constant schedule changes
13% - 1296 votes
Why are we normalising Eskom’s mess?
72% - 7240 votes
I've already found alternative ways of powering my home/business
15% - 1505 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
17.10
-0.1%
Rand - Pound
20.89
+0.0%
Rand - Euro
18.63
+0.1%
Rand - Aus dollar
12.09
+0.1%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-0.1%
Platinum
1,027.94
+1.7%
Palladium
1,669.98
+0.0%
Gold
1,915.05
+0.1%
Silver
23.49
+0.1%
Brent Crude
82.17
-0.8%
Top 40
73,629
0.0%
All Share
79,802
0.0%
Resource 10
74,686
0.0%
Industrial 25
102,624
0.0%
Financial 15
16,551
0.0%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE