Uniformed AWB members, carrying swastika emblem flags, lined the street outside the Ventersdorp Magistrates Court today ahead of the court appearance of the pair accused of hacking to death their leader Eugene Terre’Blanche.
Scores of media were present with a growing police contingent.
The case had not started by 9am and the courthouse was cordoned off with yellow crime-scene tape.
A heavy downpour earlier was clearing up.
Addressing reporters outside court, National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson advocate Mthunzi Mhaga said the application by media houses for an open case would be heard first.
On Friday, Mhaga said there would be no separation of trial.
“For the proceedings they will appear together in the same court but in terms of the legislation they will be tried under different acts, one for the adult and one for the minor...There will be no separation of trial.”
The two had previously appeared separately.
The defence had also made an application for a postponement as it was not ready for trial, counsel Zola Majavu said.
Chris Mahlangu (28) and his 15-year-old co-accused allegedly murdered the Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging leader in April at his farmhouse.
Mahlangu was released in July on R5 000 bail but re-arrested in October after a Pretoria High Court judge said the magistrate in Ventersdorp had made “incomprehensive findings” in his granting of bail.
The judge found that Mahlangu was a flight risk.
At a previous appearance, the court heard that Terre’Blanche carried a panga with him everywhere he went and he frequently took off his underpants because of the heat.
Shortly after the murder there was speculation, fuelled by reports of Terre’Blanche being found dead with his pants down, and that he had attempted to sexually assault his killers.
The motive for the crime was believed to be over a wage dispute and missing cattle.
The court heard that Terre’Blanche had been struck multiple times with such force that his jaw was broken and a bone had pierced his tongue.