Hawks commander Colonel Leslie “Cowboy” Maluleke has become the latest member of the crime-fighting unit to be suspended.
Maluleke was last night served with a letter of suspension pending an internal inquiry into his alleged role in the rendition of Zimbabweans.
Maluleke made submissions to his bosses on Monday saying he didn’t know of any laws that declared rendition as a criminal charge and that he had acted on a deportation order granted by the home affairs department.
“I can confirm that Maluleke has been placed on suspension,” Hawks spokesperson Brigadier Hangwane Mulaudzi told City Press.
Maluleke could not be reached for comment, but City Press understands he’s been suspended with full pay.
His suspension comes as Gauteng Hawks boss Major-General Shadrack Sibiya prepares to appear before the Labour Court today to hear that his suspension has been formally withdrawn.
Mulaudzi this morning told eNCA that Sibiya’s suspension had been withdrawn and reasons would be given once the matter was formally withdrawn.
“The matter is still sub judice hence we can’t elaborate further but the suspension has been withdrawn,” said Mulaudzi.
The North Gauteng High Court will tomorrow hear an application to overturn the suspension of Hawks head General Anwa Dramat. He, too, was suspended in connection with the 2010 renditions.
On Friday, the Helen Suzman Foundation filed an urgent application in the North Gauteng High Court, asking that Dramat’s suspension be overturned and the appointment of acting head, Major-General Benny Ntlemeza, be reversed.