A 43-year-old farm worker died from an apparent electric shock on a North West farm, police said today.
An inquest into the death of worker Joseph Segone was opened after he was found dead near an electric box, with both his hands holding a wire, North West police spokesperson, Lieutenant Colonel Sabata Mokgwabone said.
“This wire was also connected to iron rods situated near the electric box. He may have died on Saturday and been found the next morning, but this is being investigated,” Mokgwabone said.
Police were also investigating what the worker was trying to do with the rods.
“We really do not know about what he was doing with the rods and the electricity box at this stage. Or if there was any foul play.” he said.
Meanwhile, the Congress of SA Trade Unions (Cosatu) in the North West, demanded the labour department, and police speed up investigations.
“Farm workers are the most vulnerable workers by far in the country,” Cosatu North West secretary, Solly Phetoe said.
“They are not enjoying a single legislation in the Constitution.”
He said Cosatu also always raised concerns about farm workers “doing this type of work without protective clothing” and being asked “to do work that they were hardly trained for”.