Fire kills two in Jozi

A fire started by an unattended candle killed two people at a house in Kliptown, Johannesburg emergency services said today.

The house caught alight just before midnight yesterday, killing a man and a woman, spokesman Synock Matobako said.

“There was no electricity because of an outage and the family used a candle to light the house. They fell asleep while the candle was still burning.”

Three children between the ages of 10 and 13 escaped unharmed.

“We are asking people to brace themselves for outages going towards winter ... by preparing proper candle holders and lighting. People are also advised not to take heaters to their bedrooms and to switch them off when asleep to avoid a fire.”

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Who do you think is going to win the 2020 US election?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Biden is going to take it
46% - 6211 votes
It's four more years for Trump
54% - 7297 votes
Vote
ZAR/USD
16.39
(-0.39)
ZAR/GBP
21.52
(-0.35)
ZAR/EUR
19.41
(-0.27)
ZAR/AUD
11.62
(-0.12)
ZAR/JPY
0.16
(-0.32)
Gold
1913.52
(-0.41)
Silver
24.78
(-0.63)
Platinum
885.01
(+0.21)
Brent Crude
42.06
(-3.35)
Palladium
2398.00
(+1.07)
All Share
55345.49
(+0.13)
Top 40
50905.12
(+0.11)
Financial 15
10138.60
(+1.83)
Industrial 25
74577.70
(-1.31)
Resource 10
54447.94
(+1.23)
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes morningstar logo