A fire started by an unattended candle killed two people at a house in Kliptown, Johannesburg emergency services said today.
The house caught alight just before midnight yesterday, killing a man and a woman, spokesman Synock Matobako said.
“There was no electricity because of an outage and the family used a candle to light the house. They fell asleep while the candle was still burning.”
Three children between the ages of 10 and 13 escaped unharmed.
“We are asking people to brace themselves for outages going towards winter ... by preparing proper candle holders and lighting. People are also advised not to take heaters to their bedrooms and to switch them off when asleep to avoid a fire.”