The Gupta family would cooperate with investigators in the jet saga that received widespread criticism this week, a family spokesperson said.
“We have and will continue to cooperate with the investigators in the interests of the full facts being brought to the fore in this matter,” said Gary Naidoo today in a statement.
“We stand by our position ... (and) believe it is in the best interests of the process for the investigations to be completed before we make any further comments.”
Naidoo said the family had been inundated with phone calls since the announcement by Justice Minister Jeff Radebe yesterday.
Earlier this week, the family said it had not been directly involved in the Waterkloof incident, but had been assured by the Indian High Commission that proper processes were followed and agreements were reached with the appropriate officials.
Radebe announced that five high-ranking officials and military personnel had been suspended over the unauthorised landing of a jet,, chartered by the Gupta family, at Air Force Base Waterkloof – a national key point – on Tuesday.
Radebe said the landing was not cleared by proper authorities.
It was carrying guests to the wedding of Vega Gupta (23) to Indian-born Aakash Jahajgarhia at Sun City, North West. The Guptas own The New Age newspaper and Sahara Computers.
The jet was moved off the base on Thursday afternoon, amid widespread criticism.