Fifa president Sepp Blatter is confident of winning another term as head of football’s world governing body at forthcoming elections.
“I have confidence in myself and I have confidence in the federations that they will elect me for another four years,” Blatter told German Press Agency dpa in an interview.
Blatter who is seeking a fourth term as president, is being challenged by Mohamed bin Hammam, president of the Asian Football Confederation at the Fifa Congress vote in Zurich on June 1.
The Oceania, European, South American and African confederations have already declared their support for the 75-year-old Swiss.
Asked if he had already prepared his acceptance speech, Blatter replied: “Either way my acceptance speech will be, ‘I thank you for your trust in me’.
Either for the future or the past, but I cannot lose the vote.”
On allegations of corruption against Fifa officials linked to the selection of the 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosts, Blatter underlined there would be a policy of “zero tolerance”, and said its legal institutions should be strengthened.
“I intend to recommend to the congress a higher council of elders. But our organisation must also deploy more efficiently the instruments we already possess,” he said.
“We have to work more professionally. The ethic commission has to have a different standing. With all these accusations it has more to do at the moment than the disciplinary committee.”
Blatter also called for more women to be represented in Fifa, saying he was looking forward to the women’s World Cup in Germany from June 26 to July 17 as “an absolute highlight”.
Fifa’s executive committee could be increased from 24 to 25 to incorporate a representative for the women’s game, he said.