A report that ANC Western Cape chairperson Marius Fransman has been implicated in a “votes for cash” scandal is a fabricated allegation, the party in the province said.
“The false allegations are just that: unfounded allegations by dubious sources,” the African National Congress in the province said in a statement today.
“It is aimed at drawing the ANC into a so-called scandal that does not exist. The ANC never offered cash to anyone in exchange for their votes.”
According to Sunday Times, it emerged that Fransman tried to buy support for the ANC by promising huge amounts of cash to coloured voters to win the Democratic Alliance-controlled province from the party.
However, the attempt reportedly backfired as the intended beneficiaries, the Cape minstrel troupes, wanted Fransman to now make good on his promise of cash amounts up to R1 million.
The ANC in the Western Cape said the claims were not new and had been published before.
“Yet, this discredited story by people with dark ulterior motives are hashed up as new and newsworthy as part of a smear campaign against the ANC and certain leaders.”
Fransman has also denied the allegations.
“Neither the ANC nor I in my capacity as chairperson and/or as individual made any promise and/or agreement to pay any minstrel body and/or member of the Cape Minstrels in order to vote for the ANC,” he said in a statement.
“The ANC categorically denies the malicious allegations.”