Education officials refused to comment today on a report that the three school boys accused of gang raping a Johannesburg school girl had been arrested.
“I can’t confirm the arrests. I’ll get back to you,” Gauteng education spokesperson Charles Phahlane said.
He was asked to confirm a report by a police source that the boys had been arrested.
Provincial police spokesperson Captain Julia Claassen said: “Just wait for the press statement.”
Warrant Officer Richard Munyai said on Saturday that initial investigations revealed that two girls were given a “date-rape” drug on Thursday and one of them, aged 15, was then allegedly gang-raped while it was being filmed on the boys’ cellphones.
The Minister for women, children and persons with disabilities, Lulu Xingwana, would be visiting the girl at her home in Soweto at 2.30pm today.
Spokesperson for the minister, Sibani Mngadi, said it is alleged that the incident was filmed using a cellphone “and the recording was watched by some students and teachers”.