Police minister has ‘open mind’ on Dramat

Police Minister Nathi Nhleko is prepared to iron out salient issues with suspended Hawks boss Anwa Dramat, his spokesperson Musa Zondi has said.

“There is no witch-hunt. Once you take that out, anything is possible. The minister has an open mind,” Zondi told reporters at the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria today.

Zondi said Nhleko and Dramat met this morning.

“I don’t have an update on what they spoke about this morning, but the minister has an open mind,” he said.

Zondi addressed reporters after high court judge Bill Prinsloo reserved judgment on the Dramat suspension.

Prinsloo said he understood the urgency of the matter and hoped to deliver judgment in a few days.

Earlier, the Helen Suzman Foundation told the court that it believed Nhleko acted unlawfully when he suspended Dramat.

“It is simply a case of unlawful conduct by the minister and we ask that the court intervenes,” David Unterhalter SC, who was representing the Helen Suzman Foundation, said.

He said the timing of Nhleko’s actions were suspicious.

“It is rather extraordinary that he is said to be deeply worried but he waited for months after being appointed [police minister]. That is inexplicable,” said Unterhalter.

He said the law stipulated that the head of the crime combating unit could only be suspended following a parliamentary process.

“According to the South African Police Service Act, the minister does not have that power,” said Unterhalter.

“The minister has no option but to follow the parliamentary processes and in this case he has not done so.”

The foundation wants the court to set aside Nhleko’s decision to suspend Dramat and appoint an acting head Major General Berning Ntlemeza in his place.

On December 23, Dramat was suspended, apparently pending a probe into his alleged involvement in the illegal rendition of four Zimbabweans in November 2010.

The foundation maintains that the wording of the South African Police Service Act of 1995, in terms of which the minister purportedly made the decision, had been struck down by the Constitutional Court, making Dramat’s suspension invalid.

Unterhalter argued previously that the “decapitation” of the head of such a critically important crime and corruption fighting unit was gravely damaging to his office and public confidence in the independence of the unit.

“The longer this [unlawful action] goes on, the worse the damage becomes,” he said.

Dramat said in an affidavit he was aware that certain sensitive investigations might be closed down or shifted.

“The public wants to know this institution is free from political interference,” he said.

Unterhalter argued that if the minister was allowed to put someone more to his liking in the position it meant top officials could be suspended on short notice if they incurred the wrath of the minister.

“Every day that goes by is another day where the public says this is another failed institution,” he argued.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Who do you think is going to win the 2020 US election?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Biden is going to take it
47% - 7891 votes
It's four more years for Trump
53% - 9052 votes
Vote
ZAR/USD
16.29
(-0.46)
ZAR/GBP
21.19
(-0.15)
ZAR/EUR
19.28
(-0.33)
ZAR/AUD
11.58
(-0.18)
ZAR/JPY
0.16
(-0.22)
Gold
1897.43
(-0.03)
Silver
24.17
(-1.03)
Platinum
884.00
(-1.28)
Brent Crude
41.25
(0.00)
Palladium
2356.22
(-0.47)
All Share
55339.58
(+0.99)
Top 40
50692.28
(+0.83)
Financial 15
10790.70
(+3.99)
Industrial 25
74905.70
(+1.05)
Resource 10
52561.57
(-0.49)
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes morningstar logo