About R15 million was spent on takeaways for Tshwane municipal employees in a month.
The takeaways for staff members was for working overtime, said the city’s strategic executive head of service delivery coordination Ndivho Lukhwareni, The Star reported today.
Municipal spokesperson Lindela Mashigo reportedly said the city would respond to the newspaper’s questions about the matter tomorrow.
The city’s tender statistics for August last year, which were tabled at a municipal public accounts portfolio meeting on Friday, reflected the amount spent on the food.
The newspaper reported that the questions raised at the meeting related to how many people were required to work overtime to need food that cost that much in a month, the job they were doing, and the type of food supplied.
The tender statistics listed that five contractors were awarded the contract in 2012 for supplying, delivering and offloading standby food parcels to the amount of R15 million.
Members of the portfolio committee are expecting formal answers and disclosures when it reconvenes in January.