International football body Fifa says Zimbabwe has withdrawn its bid to host the Women’s World Cup in 2015, leaving Canada as the only candidate.
Canada’s bid must be evaluated and approved by the Fifa executive meeting when it meets tomorrow and Thursday.
Canadian sports minister Gary Lunn met with Fifa President Sepp Blatter yesterday to promote his country’s bid.
Lunn says in a statement on Fifa’s website that Canada is “very confident” about its chance of hosting the 16-team event.
Canada previously hosted the men’s Under-20 World Cup in 2007.
Zimbabwe officials acknowledged their infrastructure was “the barest minimum” to stage the tournament.