President Jacob Zuma is expected to attend the inauguration ceremony of the Republic of Guinea’s president-elect Alpha Conde, his office said today.
Presidency spokesperson Zizi Kodwa said Zuma would be accompanied by Minister of International Relations Maite Nkoana-Mashabane for Tuesday’s occasion.
The inauguration follows an election in June contested by 24 candidates.
A subsequent “run off” between Conde, a former professor at the Sorbonne in Paris and the leader of the opposition, and Cellou Dalein Diallo, the former prime minister, on November 15, led to Conde being declared the winner in provisional results.
Diallo claimed fraud, and civil unrest ensued in the former French colony on Africa’s west coast, leading to a number of deaths and the declaration of a state of emergency.
On December 1, the Supreme Court confirmed Conde as the winner in the election, regarded by many as the country’s first democratic poll.
The country had been under an interim government since January, following a coup in 2008.
The African Union lifted sanctions against Guinea after the results were confirmed by the court.
Zuma would convey the congratulations of the government and people of South Africa.