THE Horseshoe community are worried about the fire that damaged sewerage pipes that were installed in the premises of the JJ Mhlongo Hall.
They installation of the pipes was for flushing toilets for their homes, which are next to the hall.
Municipal fire fighters were called out to put the fire out, after which a huge black of smoke covered the area. “We don’t know where the fire began, but we suspect it started by children who were playing next to the hall,” said a concerned community member.
Residents have asked government to install flushing toilets, and during his speech, after being elected Harry Gwala mayor, Mluleki Ndobe said that Horseshoe as one of the areas that will receive decent sanitation.
GKM Community Development Services manager Nyaniso Msiya said lots of pipes were destroyed and cannot be used.
Investigations into why or how the fire began are under way.