One of the two bus drivers implicated in the tragic bus accident that killed several ANC members in 2016 has been slapped with a five-year prison term.
Mporo Maake was sentenced in the Winburg Regional Court on Tuesday, 6 February, bringing some closure to the tragic accident which occurred on 17 April 2016.
Capt. Malebo Khosana, spokesperson of the Winburg cluster police, says Maake’s co-accused was acquitted on charges relating to the fatal bus accident.
“The court withdrew the case against the second accused, while the other was found guilty. The drivers were facing charges of culpable homicide and reckless and negligent driving,” says Khosana.
The two drivers have been on trial since January last year following the completion of investigations into the bus accident. The case was assigned to WO Eddie Mothibi of the Winburg police detective service.
The bus was transporting 65 members of the ANC following their attendance of the party’s election campaign rally in Port Elizabeth when it overturned on the N1 between Winburg and Ventersburg.
According to the police, the fatal accident happened about 20 km from Winburg in the direction of Ventersburg.
The two drivers had allegedly swapped seats while the bus was still in motion when it overturned, killing ten people and leaving several seriously injured. The survivors of the accident were admitted to various hospitals in the Free State.
The bus was carrying ANC members to Ekurhuleni in Gauteng, after they had attended the launch of the ANC’s local government elections manifesto.