A FAMILY of four, residing at the newly established Kgotsong Location in Bloemfontein, is in despair.
This is after they lost all their possessions in a fire which destroyed their single-room shack, killing father Mamase Simon Klaas (58).
The tragic incident reportedly happened during the night of Tuesday, 9 August.
Const. Sinah Mpakane, Mangaung Police Cluster spokesperson, said an inquest docket has been opened.
She said it is suspected that a candle caused the fire.
The deceased’s partner, Angelina Mokhetso, and their three children had visited extended family when the incident happened.
Adding to their despair is that Mokhetso is unable to pay for the funeral.
The couple had been surviving on state social grants to provide for their three children Z two daughters aged 18 and 16, and a son aged 11.
They are still attending school.
David September, a member of the community volunteer group, said while they strive to raise funds for the funeral, the immediate challenge is to find the next of kin or biological family of Klaas.
He said the grief-stricken Mokhetso does not have much information about the origin of Klaas.
September said initial information received is that Klaas originated from the Eastern Cape,
Klaas apparently worked for a lengthy spell at several farms in Bainsvlei on the outskirts of Bloemfontein.
September appealed for public assistance to help the affected family to rebuild their life by donating much-needed material for a shack, as well as food and clothes, including school uniforms and stationary.
Those who have information about the next of kin or family of Klaas are also requested to help.
The funeral is planned for Saturday (20/08) at the Kgotsong Location in Bloemfontein.
Those willing and able to help with donations and information about Klaas’s family must contact September on 063-598-2557.