RESIDENTS of Bethlehem should be very careful when using automated teller machines (ATMs), as a man has been cheating people out of their money.
According to Capt. Zweli Mohobeleli, police spokesperson, two people have lost R6 000 this way.
In the one incident, a 24-year-old woman asked assistance at an ATM in town, handed over her card and entered her PIN in the presence of the suspect.
Next, the “account number invalid” message appeared on the screen and the card could not be ejected. After enquiring with the bank, she was informed that money had been withdrawn from her account.
The same evening, a 34-year-old man was conned out of his money in the same way.
Col Ngoma Guma, acting Bethlehem station commander, urges residents to keep the following in mind:
- Avoid using isolated ATMs and withdrawing cash late at night.
- Never give your card or PIN to strangers.
- Never accept help from strangers.
- Ensure that your own card is ejected after the transaction.
- As far as possible, keep your withdrawals to a minimum.