WITH the increase of smash grabs , below are some tips on how to avoid becoming a victim:
* Lock all your doors and close the windows when driving.
* Avoid opening your windows or getting involved in discussions with street vendors or anyone handing out flyers.
* Constantly be on the lookout for suspicious looking characters.
* Always be conscious of your surroundings and remain alert when coming to an intersection or stopping your vehicle.
* Be wary of people standing at intersections. They may be innocent, but perpetrators mix with these people while waiting for an opportunity to pounce.
* If you encounter obstacles such as rocks or tyres do not get out of your vehicle to remove them -immediately reverse and drive off in the opposite direction.
* If it’s late at night, slow down well in advance so that the light changes green by the time you reach the intersection.
* Leave a gap between you and the car in front of you to give you room to escape (i.e. drive away from the scene), if anything should happen.
* Be especially wary whenever you see broken glass lying on the road. If the pieces of glass are still scattered, chances are that a smash and grab occurred just recently.
* Stow away your belongings such as shopping bags and laptops in the boot of your vehicle before leaving a parking area.- Steven King