HERE is a delicious recipe for jewel tone salad with quinoa, sweet hints of honey and cranberry that is ideal for a summer lunch, light dinner or wholesome side dish.
Although quinoa looks like a grain, it is actually a seed. It has a similar taste to rice with a faint nutty flavour. Many quinoa salad recipes have a lengthy list of ingredients.
However, different fruits, vegetables and seasoning can be experimented with and a set recipe does not have to be followed.
Quinoa, pronounced as “keenwah”, is naturally gluten-free and has many health benefits, including being a protein and nutrient-rich superfood with anti-inflammatory benefits.
Quinoa takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and for most recipes, only a cup of uncooked quinoa will be used.
. 1 Medium-sized bowl of cooked quinoa
. 1 Cup red pepper, finely diced
. 3 Cups chopped spinach
. 1/3 Cup red onion, finely diced
. 1/4 Cup chopped mint leaves
. 2 Tbsp of honey or maple syrup
. 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
. 3 Tbsp coconut oil
. 2 Tbsp chia seeds
. 1 Cup raw cashews
. 1/2 Cup dried cranberries
. A pinch of salt
1. Rinse the quinoa using a mesh strainer.
2. Place the rinsed quinoa in a medium saucepan with a tablespoon of coconut or olive oil.
3. Cook the quinoa for about five minutes on medium heat.
4. Add in the desired seasoning along with two cups of water and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes until the quinoa absorbs all the water.
6. Add the cooked quinoa, sliced vegetables, mint, chia seeds, cashews and cranberries into a large bowl.
7. Add in honey or maple syrup, coconut oil, lemon juice and salt.
8. Mix well. Serve immediately or refrigerate until desired.