Rondebosch police are investigating a case of kidnapping after three suspects were arrested on Saturday 16 September.
The arrest was made after the members of a police sector noticed a signal given to them by three female victims that were in the suspects’ vehicle.
According to Rondebosch police spokesperson, Warrant Officer Lyndon Sisam, the victims started to panic after the driver refused to drop them in Cape Town and drove out of the CBD. The victims had gotten a lift from Brooklyn to Cape Town.
Sisam says: “The complainants claimed that they got a lift from the three suspects to Cape Town but noticed that they were driving away from Cape Town towards Muizenberg. They requested the driver to stop and let them out but he refused and kept on driving. They started to panic but managed to draw the attention of a police sector vehicle and the vehicle was pulled over.”
He says the suspects, aged between 31 and 33, were charged with kidnapping and appeared briefly in the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court earlier this week.
Sisam says the girls, who are all in their 20s, know one of the occupants and had asked for a lift, but they have no personal relationship with any of the suspects. He warns the public to be extra careful and not just board vehicles with people they do not trust. He says, however, that the incident is not related to the taxi kidnapping story reported last week.