AN Umtentweni couple are grateful for what their Pekingese, Cleo, did for them over the weekend.
Denise and Jean Pierre le Roux were sleeping when they awoke to their dog barking on Sunday at around 4am.
Denise said when her husband noticed that the barking did not stop, he went to check.
“My husband went to check and found that something was burning in the kitchen - our fridge had caught alight,” said Denise.
She said if the dog had not woken them up they could have died from smoke inhalation and the entire kitchen could have burnt down.