THE highly successful Uitenhage Lions Club Winter Jersey campaign now in its 12th year, was celebrated with handing over knitted jerseys to primary schools Ankervas, Susannah Fourie and St Joseph’s.
The jerseys was handed to the various head prefects of these schools at the Drostdy Museum in Uitenhage. It is now for the respective schools to distribute them to learners in need.
The Drostdy building was erected in 1809 and is the oldest building in Uitenhage. Over the years the building was used as a railway institute by 1923 and was finally opened as the Drostdy Museum and a national monument by April 1981.
This Uitenhage historical museum gives insight into the history of the town and its surrounding districts. One of the major attractions is the exhibition of the Republic of South Africa’s country symbols. This includes the national flag, coat of arms, the motto, national anthem and natural symbols which tell its story and play a crucial role in building pride and a sense of belonging.
- School groups are welcome to book for lessons based on these symbols by contacting the Drostdy Museum on 041 992 2063.