One person has been killed and three others injured following a cash-in-transit heist in front of the Cash and Carry in Strand on Saturday.
Gordons Bay Security Chief Operations Officer, Heyn de Waal, said they had received a number of panic alarms and calls from shops along main road Strand, saying there was a shooting in progress.
De Waal said armed guards and paramedics had responded.
He said from information supplied, four men had attempted to rob the guards as they were leaving the premises and a shootout had ensued.
He said two guards had been injured, and two of the armed suspects had also been wounded, one fatally.
He said the other two suspects had managed to flee the scene.
Western Cape police spokesperson Sergeant Noloyiso Rwexana confirmed that the incident happened at 11:30.
Rwexana said according to reports, securities from cash-in-transit had just picked up money when four men approached them and two of them were armed.
"A shooting ensued between the security guards and the robbers and it resulted in one unidentified man shot and fatally wounded."
Rwexana said a 32-year-old suspect was shot and wounded and transported to hospital under police guard.
Police seized two illegal firearms and the suspect will appear in the Strand Magistrate's Court once he is charged, Rwexana said.
Police are investigating a case of attempted cash-in-transit robbery.
WATCH: SA's cash-in-transit heist epidemic explained