Three people died in a fire in Mazotshweni Location in Tongwana Village, Butterworth, Eastern Cape police said.
The women aged 21, 25 and 30 died on Saturday morning at 04:30, police spokesperson Captain Jackson Manatha said in a statement.
He said it appeared as though the women had left a candle burning while they slept.
"It is not clear if they were related as they were sleeping in the same house. The deceased [have] different surnames."
Manatha said the identities of the women would not be released as their next of kin were yet to be informed.
He warned residents to ensure that all candles were put out at night.