36-year-old man arrested for rape in controversial lockdown camp for Cape Town's homeless

accreditation
Police at a roadblock in Khayelitsha. (Gallo Images, Brenton Geach)
Police at a roadblock in Khayelitsha. (Gallo Images, Brenton Geach)

A 36-year-old man has been arrested for the rape of an 18-year-old woman at the tent the city set up to shelter Cape Town's homeless on a sports field in Strandfontein during the country's Covid-19 lockdown.

"According to the victim, the incident occurred on Wednesday evening, but it was only reported on Friday night," police spokesperson Captain FC van Wyk said.

The 36-year-old is expected to appear in the Mitchells Plain Magistrate's Court on Tuesday. 

The facility at Strandfontein has been bogged down in controversy for various reasons, which range from criticism directed at the City of Cape Town for the type of accommodation offered, to complaints from residents in the immediate vicinity who say they have not been consulted about the camp. 

It is on a sports field and critics say that it is not set up properly, has no beds and no proper ablution facilities.

The City of Cape Town said it was working with police to investigate the allegation.

"Any accusation of sexual assault is an incredibly sensitive matter and the City is doing everything possible to ensure that it is handled in a manner befitting the situation," Mayor Dan Plato said in a statement.

"I find it alarming that some political parties have already seized on the opportunity to turn this into a political matter," he said without naming parties.

Plato said that no facts had been determined yet as the investigation continues.

"I have called on the SAPS to conduct and conclude their investigation with urgency so that we can provide the facts to the public of Cape Town in an environment where half-truths and misinformation is being spread like wildfire."

He reiterated that the Strandfontein site was set up under the instruction of the national disaster regulations published by Cabinet, and the city has given extensive reasons for doing so.

It has also provided the city with an opportunity to screen homeless people for Covid-19 and tuberculosis, he said.

"Despite claims to the contrary, no person is kept on-site against their will, as has been proven by the relocation of a group back to Somerset West last week.

"The City is going to great lengths to ensure the wellbeing of those on-site, in accordance with the regulations of the disaster declaration," he added.

*This story has been updated with comment from the City of Cape Town.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Matric results are out! Are you happy with your child's result?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
No, the pandemic really messed up their ability to focus
33% - 416 votes
Yes, they did well given the circumstances
67% - 860 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
15.29
-1.2%
Rand - Pound
20.63
-0.7%
Rand - Euro
17.32
-1.0%
Rand - Aus dollar
10.92
-0.7%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-1.0%
Gold
1,839.79
+0.3%
Silver
23.90
-1.6%
Palladium
2,149.50
+1.8%
Platinum
1,028.50
-0.5%
Brent Crude
87.89
-0.6%
Top 40
65,653
-3.9%
All Share
72,164
-3.7%
Resource 10
71,479
-4.8%
Industrial 25
90,959
-3.5%
Financial 15
14,713
-2.5%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE