Baby dies of gas inhalation in Klerksdorp

(Supplied by ER24)
(Supplied by ER24)

Mahikeng – A 14-month-old baby has died after he apparently inhaled gas at his home in Klerksdorp, ER24 said in a statement on Friday.

The infant and his parents, who also inhaled the gas, were reportedly found by a relative on Friday morning. The adults were unconscious and were found in the room where the family had slept, the statement read.

ER24 spokesperson Annine Siddal told News24 that there was nothing that could be done to save the baby and he was declared dead in the room. 

Siddal said: "The parents were stabilised and transported to hospital".

Siddal said that the family had a gas cylinder, describing it as "the type of gas cylinder that you would use for cooking". 

Local authorities were on the scene to investigate.


We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Who do you think is going to win the 2020 US election?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Biden is going to take it
47% - 8501 votes
It's four more years for Trump
53% - 9658 votes
Vote
ZAR/USD
16.19
(+0.14)
ZAR/GBP
21.09
(+0.36)
ZAR/EUR
19.12
(+0.47)
ZAR/AUD
11.53
(+0.26)
ZAR/JPY
0.15
(+0.28)
Gold
1901.10
(+0.16)
Silver
24.25
(-0.69)
Platinum
872.00
(-2.61)
Brent Crude
41.25
(0.00)
Palladium
2346.00
(-0.90)
All Share
54890.88
(-0.81)
Top 40
50286.90
(-0.80)
Financial 15
10644.91
(-1.35)
Industrial 25
74457.36
(-0.60)
Resource 10
52092.66
(-0.89)
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes morningstar logo