Cape Town – Millions of pupils are expected to flock back to schools on Wednesday as the 2017 school year commences.
In the Western Cape alone, more than one million children are expected to fill classrooms.
In addition to the current institutions, three new schools, six replacement schools, 179 additional classrooms, and 119 mobile classrooms had been made available.
Education MEC Debbie Schafer said in a statement that most preparations for the new academic year were completed well before the end of 2016.
Officials were working around the clock to accommodate late enrolments and pupils who had not yet been placed, she said.
In Gauteng, at least 58 000 pupils were yet to be placed in a school by Monday.
The department said it had received many late applications, despite the process being opened from April to June and from June to November last year, spokesperson Oupa Bodibe said.
However, 90% of pupils requiring placement for the 2017 school year would start school on Wednesday. A total of 130 000 Grade 1 pupils and 103 000 Grade 8 pupils had been placed.