Cape Town - A man accused of fatally shooting a Cape Town policeman will remain behind bars pending the finalisation of his trial, the Bellville Magistrate’s Court ruled on Tuesday.
The court denied Siphamandla Gqongweni’s bail application and postponed the matter until September 16, said Western Cape National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila.
Gqongweni, 22, was arrested in June in connection with the murder of Constable Lunthu Sive Nkabi.
Nkabi was killed while off duty in Thubelitsha, Delft, in April this year.
The 38-year-old officer was driving his private vehicle when another car suddenly blocked the road.
"The constable got out of his vehicle to investigate what the matter was, but instead of getting answers he was shot at close range. He died at the scene," said national Hawks spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Robert Netshiunda at the time.
Nkabi had been stationed at the Delft police station.