Two men have died following an explosion at a Cape Town eatery earlier this week.
The eatery in Woodstock went up in flames on Thursday night, following a suspected gas leak.
One of the men sustained almost 100% burn wounds, while the other had 70% burn wounds.Groote Schuur spokesperson Alaric Jacobs told News24 the men died in hospital on Saturday.
One of the victims was Vernard John van Niekerk, his wife confirmed to Netwerk24.
The explosion ripped out the front of the building, set a vehicle alight and strew debris across the neighbourhood.
News24 reported fire and rescue department inspectors found two 48kg gas bottles. This was in contravention of safety by-laws, which limit gas canisters to 19kg.
The cannisters were connected to a two-plate cooking gas stove, said the City of Cape Town's mayoral committee member for safety and security, JP Smith.
He added residents could feel the explosion when the building went up in flames.
Police are investigating the circumstances around the incident.