for subscribers

ConCourt judgment makes IEC 'suspect' - FF Plus

Share your Subscriber Article
You have 5 articles to share every month. Send this story to a friend!
(Genevieve Quintal, News24)
(Genevieve Quintal, News24)

Cape Town - The Constitutional Court ruling that the August 3 elections can go ahead, even though there are problems with the voters' roll, means that the Electoral Commission of SA (IEC) is now suspect, the Freedom Front Plus said on Tuesday.

"The judgment makes it clear that the IEC had not fulfilled its legal obligations with regards to the voters' roll and this judgment of the Constitutional Court is a compromise in the interest of democracy to allow the elections to go ahead on 3 August," FF Plus leader Pieter Groenewald said in a statement.

The court ruled earlier on Tuesday that the IEC's failure to record all available voters' addresses on the national common voters' roll was inconsistent with the Constitution, and therefore invalid.

There’s more to this story
Subscribe to News24 and get access to our exclusive journalism and features today.
Subscribe
Already a subscriber? Sign in
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Who do you think is going to win the 2020 US election?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Biden is going to take it
46% - 6809 votes
It's four more years for Trump
54% - 7920 votes
Vote
ZAR/USD
16.19
(+0.81)
ZAR/GBP
21.20
(+1.15)
ZAR/EUR
19.15
(+1.10)
ZAR/AUD
11.53
(+0.66)
ZAR/JPY
0.15
(+1.01)
Gold
1903.91
(-0.91)
Silver
24.71
(-0.98)
Platinum
885.00
(+0.23)
Brent Crude
42.06
(-3.35)
Palladium
2382.50
(-0.08)
All Share
54796.42
(-0.99)
Top 40
50276.84
(-1.23)
Financial 15
10376.28
(+2.34)
Industrial 25
74130.97
(-0.60)
Resource 10
52819.20
(-2.99)
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes morningstar logo