- The DA has asked the public to come forward with information on Gauteng MEC Panyaza Lesufi's alleged tender interference.
- This after a report on a recorded meeting in which Lesufi said that "our people should be satisfied… and looked after", on the awarding of tenders.
- Lesufi rejected the report, saying the recording was tampered with and is part of a plot against him.
The DA wants any information or evidence of Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi's alleged tender interference for "further prosecution".
On Sunday, City Press reported that Lesufi, also the ANC deputy chairperson in Gauteng, is heard on a recording of a meeting with his team where his department's tenders were discussed.
Lesufi reportedly said about the awarding of tenders that "our people should be satisfied… and looked after".
He also said when tenders are advertised, there should be communication about it among his people.
Lesufi rejected the report as misleading and denied that the meeting was secret. He further said the recording had been tampered with.
He claimed there are "forces at play" who want to assassinate his character for political gain.
'System of patronage'
This, while the Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is investigating Covid-19-related tenders in Gauteng, including R431 million spent on sanitising, deep cleaning, and decontaminating schools in the province.
News about this broke in January, at which time Lesufi said not one friend, family member, or close comrade of his benefitted from these contracts.
The EFF called for Lesufi's removal on Sunday.
On Tuesday, DA Gauteng spokesperson for education, Khume Ramulifho, said in a statement that the DA in Gauteng is calling on people "to bring forward any information and evidence on MEC Panyaza Lesufi's alleged tender interference to the DA for further prosecution".
"The DA will continue pursuing this matter, to ensure if there was any wrongdoing by Lesufi, that he face the necessary consequences."