Johannesburg - Only 45 pupils returned to Ormonde Primary School after the school's governing body (SGB) closed its gates on the first day of the academic calendar.
All 700 pupils were expected to be back next week Monday when construction was completed, a Gauteng department of education official said on Thursday.
On Monday, the SGB and parents turned away pupils. The school had no running water in its toilets, and no phone and electricity connections.
Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi intervened, calling for ablution facilities to be delivered to the school and instructing the school to reopen immediately.
When News24 visited the school on Thursday, only three Grade 2 learners were present in class.
Construction workers were digging holes to connect the main pipeline with that of the school sewer on Thursday morning.
Parents were milling around to see if the toilets had been delivered.
The education official said they had already delivered eight temporary mobile toilets and construction was under way to connect the sewage pipe with the main line.
The official said parents would be alerted on Thursday that the school had reopened.
"Most parents are unaware that the school is back on track. The SGB and principal are making these calls as we speak. We expect all learners to be hard at work by Monday," he told News24.
One parent, Philip Morata, said he had heard from the media that the school had opened. He said he was glad that Lesufi had intervened in the matter.
"The health of our children must come first. I came here to make sure that the department is doing what they promised to the SGB," he told News24.