Gauteng education department approaches ConCourt over Hoërskool Overvaal

accreditation
A member of the public is seen carrying a tire during the Hoërskool Overvaal protest. (File, Iavan Pijoos, News24)
A member of the public is seen carrying a tire during the Hoërskool Overvaal protest. (File, Iavan Pijoos, News24)

Johannesburg – The Gauteng education department confirmed on Monday that it has filed papers in the Constitutional Court to appeal a decision by the High Court that Hoërskool Overvaal does not have capacity to enrol English-speaking pupils.

Provincial education spokesperson Steve Mabona confirmed on Monday afternoon that the department had filed its application to appeal the court's decision.

Last month, the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria set aside a decision by the department to admit 55 pupils to be taught in English at Hoërskool Overvaal, an Afrikaans medium school.

OPINION: Overvaal: Where is the moral leadership?

The court found that the school did not have the capacity to admit additional pupils.

"The instruction by the district director of Sedibeng East to place further learners for enrolment is set aside," Judge Bill Prinsloo said.

"I find that on the probabilities the school has no capacity to receive the 55 English learners, let alone of such short notice and convert to a dual medium school," he said.

The decision by the court to set aside the decision and only allow Afrikaans-speaking pupils into the school was met with protests led by the EFF, ANC and the South African Democratic Teachers' Union.

The protests continued outside the premises as school started, with police having to disperse protesters with stun grenades and rubber bullets on multiple days.

WATCH: Another 15 arrested in Hoërskool Overvaal protest

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Should Proteas star Quinton de Kock continue playing at the T20 World Cup even if he doesn't take the knee in support of the fight against racism?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes! He should be allowed to show his support any way he chooses
37% - 735 votes
No! If De Kock refuses to unite with his teammates, then he should be on the next plane home
12% - 232 votes
The only ones at fault here are Cricket SA, who have sabotaged another Proteas World Cup
51% - 1002 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
14.97
-1.0%
Rand - Pound
20.59
-0.8%
Rand - Euro
17.37
-1.0%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.23
-1.0%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-1.4%
Gold
1,786.60
-0.4%
Silver
23.95
-0.9%
Palladium
1,994.00
-1.0%
Platinum
1,019.50
-1.3%
Brent Crude
86.40
+0.5%
Top 40
60,797
-0.2%
All Share
67,494
-0.2%
Resource 10
63,048
-0.3%
Industrial 25
87,148
-0.1%
Financial 15
14,043
-0.1%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE