Two South Africans test positive for coronavirus on Japanese cruise ship

accreditation
A member of the media wearing a face mask walks past the Diamond Princess cruise ship at Daikoku Pier where it is being resupplied and newly diagnosed coronavirus cases taken for treatment.
A member of the media wearing a face mask walks past the Diamond Princess cruise ship at Daikoku Pier where it is being resupplied and newly diagnosed coronavirus cases taken for treatment.
Carl Court/Getty Images

Two South African citizens working on a Japanese cruise ship have tested positive for the Covid-19 virus, known as the coronavirus, the health ministry said on Friday. 

"The South African government has been made aware by Japanese authorities through the South African embassy in Tokyo, that there were 12 South African crew members working on board the Diamond Princess Cruise Ship when it was affected by Covid-19.

"On 25 February 2020, we were informed by the Japanese authorities that two of these South Africans tested positive for Covid-19. They are currently being treated in Japan and the latest reports indicate that they are currently asymptomatic," the ministry said in a statement. 

"At this stage, it is most appropriate that the Covid-19 confirmed South African citizens should be treated in Japan until they are fully recovered from the virus and are no longer contagious before they travel further.

"For the remaining 10, they will be permitted to disembark the ship as per the instructions of their employer after they test negative for coronavirus, be subjected to a further 14-day quarantine in Japan, then further tested thereafter to determine if they may be cleared for travel.

"South Africa will continue to monitor the situation closely and maintain contact with the government of Japan in order to keep the public informed."

Disembarkation in a phased approach

The cruise ship arrived in the Japanese Port of Yokohama with 3 700 people on board. On February 1, it was announced that a patient who had disembarked in Hong Kong on January 25 had tested positive for the coronavirus.

This led to a quarantine period on board the ship that ended on February 19. It was only at then that the South African government was informed of the situation.

READ | Coronavirus: Do you need a mask? Spoilers, the answer is no

According to the ministry, passengers and crew on board are being tested for the coronavirus. To date, 705 have tested positive and these patients have been transferred off the ship for medical assistance.

"The disembarkation process of unaffected passengers has been a phased approach whereby passengers are released after testing negative for Covid-19. The ship company has indicated that the disembarkation of passengers is a priority and that crew members will be allowed to disembark after all passengers have disembarked," the ministry said. 

On Friday, Nigeria announced the first confirmed case in sub-Saharan Africa, AFP reported. 

The affected person is an Italian citizen who works in Nigeria and returned from Milan earlier this week, Health Minister Osagie Ehanire said in a statement on Twitter.

"The patient is clinically stable, with no serious symptoms, and is being managed at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba, Lagos," Ehanire said. 

South Africans in Wuhan

The South African government is planning to repatriate all South Africans from the Chinese city of Wuhan where the virus originated.

Covid-19 was first reported in Wuhan, Hubei province, in November 2019.

It was estimated that there were 199 South Africans in Wuhan, according to the Department of International Relations and Cooperation.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Voting Booth
Eskom has considered continuous load shedding at Stage 2, instead of introducing it when the power system faces a crunch. What are your thoughts?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
I'm all for it - we're going to have power cuts regardless, so we might as well have some stability to better plan our lives
45% - 4860 votes
No thanks! I prefer having periods of no load shedding and we cannot normalise this crisis
55% - 5942 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
17.96
+0.6%
Rand - Pound
19.43
-0.5%
Rand - Euro
17.31
+0.4%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.66
+0.1%
Rand - Yen
0.12
+0.4%
Gold
1,637.56
+0.9%
Silver
18.65
+1.6%
Palladium
2,040.00
-0.2%
Platinum
863.00
+1.2%
Brent Crude
84.06
-2.5%
Top 40
57,360
+0.1%
All Share
63,716
+0.1%
Resource 10
56,053
-0.3%
Industrial 25
79,527
0.0%
Financial 15
14,095
+0.8%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE