KwaZulu-Natal police have confirmed that a decomposed body found in Phoenix is that of missing 9-year-old Durban boy Miguel Louw.
"It has been formally confirmed that the body of a child that was found at Longberry Drive, Phoenix last week is that of Miguel Louw who was reported missing in July", said provincial spokesperson Colonel Thembeka Mbele in a statement.
Earlier, police told News24 on Wednesday that the body had not been identified yet and that DNA results were still outstanding.
The Louw family's lawyer, Vasthi Williams, also earlier confirmed to News24 that the family was still waiting for DNA results.
On Wednesday evening, Williams said the family was crushed at the news that the body was indeed that of nine-year-old Louw.
"The family is crushed and angry at the same time. They held onto hope all this time and now these news..."
She said going forward investigations would continue and the family would allow the police to do their work.
Williams added that funeral arrangements were underway for his burial.
Louw went missing on July 17 in Sydenham. He was believed to have been kidnapped shortly after leaving school.
Two weeks ago, 43-year-old Mohammed Ebrahim, who was allegedly the last person seen with the boy, appeared in court on human trafficking charges.
Video footage allegedly shows Ebrahim buying Miguel some KFC near his school in Rippon Road in Sydenham.
However, it was not clear whether the boy entered a taxi with Ebrahim after visiting the KFC.
Mbele said the suspect will be now facing a murder charge.