KwaZulu-Natal police have confirmed that an eight-year-old boy who shot himself in the head while playing with a gun is still alive.
According to police spokesperson Colonel Thembeka Mbele, the boy is in critical condition after he was taken to hospital on Thursday afternoon.
"A shot went off and struck an eight-year-old child in the head. He was taken to hospital.
"The firearm used was removed from the scene by unknown suspects and was later found abandoned," Mbele said.
It is still unlcear how the boy got the firearm.
While Mbele previously said an inquest docket had been opened she confirmed that since the boy is still alive, "only a case of defeating the ends of justice is being investigated".
*This story has been updated after police amended their initial statement which had said the boy had died after the incident.