Lions eat 3 suspected poachers at Eastern Cape game reserve

accreditation
(iStock)
(iStock)

At least three suspected poachers who were apparently hunting for rhinos have been mauled to death and eaten by lions at a game reserve in the Eastern Cape, the owner said on Thursday.

The men entered the Sibuya Game Reserve on the southeast coast armed with a high-powered rifle and an axe in the early hours of Monday and were found dismembered the following day.

"They strayed into a pride of lions – it's a big pride so they didn't have too much time," reserve owner Nick Fox, 60, told AFP.

"We're not sure how many there were – there's not much left of them.

"There seems to be clothing for three people. I've not heard of it before in our area."

Police forensics officers were on the scene conducting tests on the remains of the victims, Fox added.

"We went in yesterday – I got our vet to dart [anaesthetise] all the lions," he said.

"I think we had a stroke of luck here that the lions got to them before they got to the rhinos.

"We lost three rhino in March 2016."

Police spokesperson Mali Govender said the remains were taken to the Department of Health for testing. 

"Part of the investigation would be with the department of health to conduct DNA testing to establish if the remains belong to each other. In that way we would be able to find out if it had been more than one individual," she said.

Fewer than 25 000 rhinos remain in the wild in Africa due to a surge in poaching.

Rhinos are targeted to feed booming demand for rhino horn in China, Vietnam and other Asian countries, where it is believed to have medicinal qualities.

Fox said that the reserve was still open to guests despite the incident.

"It's still business as usual, it doesn't change anything we do," he said.

"The comments on our Facebook are all talking about karma and warnings."

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24
Lockdown For
DAYS
HRS
MINS
Voting Booth
Should Proteas star Quinton de Kock continue playing at the T20 World Cup even if he doesn't take the knee in support of the fight against racism?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes! He should be allowed to show his support any way he chooses
37% - 853 votes
No! If De Kock refuses to unite with his teammates, then he should be on the next plane home
12% - 282 votes
The only ones at fault here are Cricket SA, who have sabotaged another Proteas World Cup
50% - 1155 votes
Vote
Rand - Dollar
14.97
-1.0%
Rand - Pound
20.59
-0.6%
Rand - Euro
17.37
-1.0%
Rand - Aus dollar
11.23
-0.9%
Rand - Yen
0.13
-1.4%
Gold
1,790.10
-0.2%
Silver
23.99
-0.8%
Palladium
1,980.00
-1.5%
Platinum
1,021.00
-1.0%
Brent Crude
86.40
+0.5%
Top 40
60,797
-0.4%
All Share
67,494
-0.3%
Resource 10
63,048
-0.6%
Industrial 25
87,148
-0.3%
Financial 15
14,043
-0.2%
All JSE data delayed by at least 15 minutes Iress logo
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE